Re: TSG Advantages?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/30/01 3:46:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Greg,
>         The losses certainly won't be lower, at least on a transfer
> by transfer basis as the discharge path is longer. The major benefits
> would be precise firing timing and ideal quenching, although again it
> obviously comes at a (loss) cost.
>
> Regards,
> malcolm

I would think the biggest advantage over a synchronous rotary gap would be
ease of construction and total cost of the project.  It should be cheaper to
build and less costly compared to buying or modifying a motor to be
synchronous, fabricating the rotor disk, electrodes, stationary electrodes,
phase shifting circuit, etc.  The heads up comparison of a TSG v.s. a SRG for
performance will be interesting.

Ed Sonderman