Re: TSG Advantages?

In a message dated 8/31/01 12:57:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Malcolm, John, Greg, All
>
>  Isn't it possible that the longer spark length plus extremely quick quench
>  time could be less than the short gap length and relatively long quench
time
>  of a rotary?  And as John mention the increase in coupling would also
reduce
>  losses.  Just my thoughts.
>
>  Mark Stolz

Mark,

Are you saying that the benefits of the fast quench of the TSG
may outweigh the greater losses from the long gap, especially
when considering the possibilities for tighter coupling?  Yes,
that is possible, and we'll see.  Mark R's scope test of Ed
Wingate's magnifier which uses a series rotary showed that it
quenches on the first notch.  I don't know what the effective
coupling of Ed's magnifier is.  It would be much lower than the
driver k.

I did some tests in the past with a series rotary, and compared
it with a normal rotary.  Although the series rotary quenched
on the first or second notch, compared to 3rd notch quench
for the normal rotary, the spark output was the same, despite
any variations made to the coupling.  More tests should be
done though.

John Freau