Correction on Toroid Modeling

Hi All,

Looks like I caused an error in the toroid modeling. Paul Nicholson wrote
me off list and questioned the
data stating the toroid capacitance should increase (not decrease) beyond
the free-space self-capacitance
of the toroid due to the proximity of the ground plane.

Paul also went on to say "You can invoke proximity of the secondary to
explain reduction of toroid cap
below the self-cap: since the secondary top is at the same potential as the
toroid, it has a shielding
effect.  But the ground plane is the *opposite* terminal of the
capacitance, hence
ground proximity will increase, not shield, the toroid cap."

So I went back to the data and found the error. I used an ABS function in
Excel because I was looking at
percentage of toroid capacitance assuming I needed to keep this positive.
When the percent values passed
the free-space self-capacitance of the toroid, I should have allowed the
raw data to go negative (raw data
without abs function). This changes the graphs and shows a continous
increase in top capacitance ("not" a
decrease). I'm currently removing the abs function and simply inserting raw
data without any modifications.

It's really great to have someone like Paul on the list who has a good
understanding of modeling TC data
and the physics involved. E-Tesla6 is working just fine, btw. I'm thankful
Paul set me strait before I went
too far down the wrong path.

The data, once the abs is removed, is good and will identify how the toroid
capacitance effectively
changes. So I'm continuing on with the data collection. I did graph a few
during this check but didn't
throw anything up at my web site. I can if requested, but I'd like to
collect more data. I'm currently
running back through some of the previous models to expand the toroid
diameter steps of change.

Thanks again Paul,
Bart