Earth leakage and SS Variac

Original poster: "Byron by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <byron-at-4zzzfm-dot-org.au>

Hi, I'm new to this, and partway through trying to build a control box
capable of preventing me from making a few stupid mistakes, like touching
the primary side..
The main way I have of doing this is with earth-leakage protection, the
first beig a normal meter-box type ELD. The second a current detection
from the centertaped earth the NSTs have. Has anyone played around with
anything like this? Does the coil's spikes and other crap it puts on the
lines cause false triggering?

My other idea, was, instead of using a normal variac, wich seems anoying
hard to find and expensive to buy, if it' a good idea to build a
solid-state version, the design I currently have involves cutting the
half-waves of the cycles at a point along the wave.
(aka: http://www.zetetics-dot-com/bj/papers/phd/appxa.pdf (Second section
down)

Thoughs apresiated.

(And the coils are cool! I have so been looking forward to building one
for ages! And I have nearly everything I need! (Once I can convince some
people that the safty conreols are good enough))

--
__
  Triple Zed  102.1MHz			Agitate, Educate, Organise