Re: 5HP rotory elect. phase control

In a message dated 3/27/02 1:16:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> so this encouraged me to finish my 5HP 3600 RPM rotory project.
> I was a little worried about being able to make John Freau's phase
> control work on such a large motor, but it does work after all.  The
> optimal capacitance is around 85 uF using a 10 amp 120 volt variac for
> control.

Hi Kevin,

Nice !   I think the 240 volt operation lets the cap value be much
smaller than otherwise.  Perhaps 1/2 or 1/4 the size that it would
need to be for 5HP at 120 volts.  Your results also strengthen my
suspicion that the cap value requirements depend somewhat on
the motor load, not only on the motor HP rating.

Cheers,
John