Re: VTTC Tubes

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dspeck-at-relex-dot-com>

Winston,
The problem is that your lithium would not get rid of the nitrogen in the
tube, which makes up about
80% of the atmosphere.  Even if the oxygen were entirely consumed, your
tube would contain Nitrogen
and Argon gas at a pressure of about 608 mmHg , making it a very gassy tube
(more or less a poor
quality neon sign) with very lousy to nonexistent amplification
characteristics.  The tube would arc
continuously when the ionization voltage of the nitrogen was exceeded, but
you wouldn't  any
amplification.   Electrons from your filament will be bumping into gas
molecules rather than flying
straight to the anode.

The article previously cited showed that commercial vacuum tubes were taken
down to vacuums of about
1 micron  (0.001 mmHg), a whole lot less pressure than the arrangement you
would propose.

Sorry,
Dave