RE: SG electric control Idea - opinions wanted

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Hello Cory,

TRIACs don't  turn off until current through the device goes to almost zero.
There are such things as Gate Controlled SCRs, but these are DC devices.

OTOH, trigger the triac just after zero crossing with a somewhat LTR cap and
the cap will charge to a peak and current will start to reverse, turning the
TRIAC off.  Time the gap trigger to fire after the TRIAC turns off.

Still, High Voltage SS devices are not cheap.  The output voltage of a MOT
is 2200-2400V.  The peak is around 3300-3400V and I would want to use
something rated twice that.  Does any TRIAC that can handle those voltages
exist?  And at a price we can afford?

Regards,

Pete Komen
Original poster: "Cory Roussel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<imcuddlycory-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello again,

i have an idea: it is my understanding SCRs and TRIACs
arent fast enough switching and dependable enough to
handle TC spark gap replacement...  it is also my
understanding that a single MOT is not useful as a TC
trannie because it doesnt have near enough voltage for
a reasonable gap, ide like to change this:
<snip>
 just an idea,

Cory Roussel
G1206