MOT Current Measurement

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I wish to take current measurements of a microwave oven transformer
(MOT).  I propose to short out the secondary with a a piece of wire
around which I would place a clamp ammeter.  I would then put the clamp
meter around one of the primary leads to measure input current.

1) Is this the correct procedure for taking transformer measurements?
2) How quick would I need to be taking measurements before the shorted
secondary caused overheating?  (Assume a thirty degree Celcius ambient.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith