Re: Calculation of PFC Capacitors using LTR Capacitor

Hi John F., Ed,

Yes, you are correct. And as John C. and Terry have shown issues at the
breakers,
it does help me see where PFC use for our coils can help to reduce the load
on the
breakers and components upstream from the transformer. Because of my setup,  I
don't have that problem, thus, I didn't see the real need. But it appears
that it
may infact be useful in some situations.

Also, Ed mentioned the following in his reply:
"The reason I wrote the questions is that I get the impression from what I read
here that a lot of fellows think that a PFC is a necessity."

I get the same impression, and I guess that's really what concerned me. I think
there's a lack of knowledge for many coilers on what the PFC actually does.
There
have been some good posts in the past, but I also fell into this realm of
little
understanding on our use of the PFC. What helped me the most was just
researching
beyond the list threads. Once PFC use became clear in my mind, I then began
to see
others simply assuming a PFC is "good to use" without "knowing why". Hopefully,
this thread will clear up some of the mystery.

Take care,
Bart