Re: Calculation of PFC Capacitors using LTR Capacitor

I ran a simulation showing the input current and voltage of my big coil
with and without PFC caps:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WithoutPFC.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WithPFC.gif

You can see how the caps reduce the AC line current and bring the voltage
and current into phase.

The coil runs fine either way.  PFC caps only slightly help output due to
lower wiring loss in the AC lines.  But a little more turn an the variac
fixes that.  Aside from reducing AC line current, PFC caps really have no
other function.

Cheers,

	Terry

At 09:28 PM 8/3/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi John F., Ed,
>
>Yes, you are correct. And as John C. and Terry have shown issues at the
>breakers,
>it does help me see where PFC use for our coils can help to reduce the load
>on the
>breakers and components upstream from the transformer. Because of my setup,  I
>don't have that problem, thus, I didn't see the real need. But it appears
>that it
>may infact be useful in some situations.
>
>Also, Ed mentioned the following in his reply:
>"The reason I wrote the questions is that I get the impression from what I
read
>here that a lot of fellows think that a PFC is a necessity."
>
>I get the same impression, and I guess that's really what concerned me. I
think
>there's a lack of knowledge for many coilers on what the PFC actually does.
>There
>have been some good posts in the past, but I also fell into this realm of
>little
>understanding on our use of the PFC. What helped me the most was just
>researching
>beyond the list threads. Once PFC use became clear in my mind, I then began
>to see
>others simply assuming a PFC is "good to use" without "knowing why".
Hopefully,