Re: Grounding

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Sure, shorter is better, but proximity is not that
critical. Even a longish ground line seems
electrically short at the frequencies most Tesla coils
operate at.

You really won't have a problem until your ground line
starts to approach a quarter wavelength or more. At
250kHz, that's over 900 feet! Keep your ground line
under 200 ft, and it's reactance will be negligible.

As long as you use a quality, low-loss conductor, and
your ground rod and your coil share the same acre of
land, I don't anticipate any problem with a long
ground line. You may run a wire between that stake in
your yard and your tesla coil with every confidence.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg