Re: coherers

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> davep wrote:
> >
> >         In my experience, the majority of stainless steels
> >         are not magnetic...
>
> I have just tested all my metal tableware and coins with a magnet.
> The coin that I used was certainly magnetic, and all of the tableware
> marked "inox" or "stainless" was too. Some were not, even with the
> same appearance, but the label was different.
>
> >                 Materials influence is complex and hard
> >                 to control.  As simple a matter as changing
> >                 to a new file can affect the sensitivity.
>
> As a device with variable mechanical structure, this is unavoidable.
>
> >         Speculation:
> >                 There are apparent similarities between
> >                 a coherer and an MOV, in some regards.
>
> Yes. Probably a similar effect. But would a MOV "decohere"?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	I have just gone through a similar excercise.  The SS tableware which
has served us faithfully for over 32 years appears non-magnetic even
when approached with a pretty powerful Nd magnet.  I should modify that
to say that all of it except for 2 knives, which leap out of the drawer
toward the magnet.  We have a much cheaper set my wife bought mail order
for only a few bucks; they are identical in appearance and apparent wear
to the others.  The knives in that set are non-magnetic but all of the
rest of the stuff is highly magnetic.  One of those spoons is sitting on
my desk and will be converted to "coherer dust" at my first opportunity.

Ed