Geek MMC Caps Pricing

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: <tesla-2-at-tesla-2-dot-org>
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Tesla-2] mmc cap. source

I Refer to the promotional link below posted to the Tesla-2 List by  Chris
Boden of the Geek Group Aug 09 2002
Below is the pricing extract from this link:

>The prices are as follows.
>For Group members and members of the Pupman list.
>0.15 uF $3.00 For the general public.0.15 uF $3.50

>Plus shipping from 49006 and usually comes out to about $0.15 to $0.20 per
>cap (depends on how many you get) , and we do ask you make a small donation
>to the Group or buy a T-shirt or two, or SOMETHING...be nice :) We sell
>these caps for about 50% of the price anywhere else.

The unqualified claim to be "50% cheaper than anywhere else" does not appear
to be correct
at least for purchases of 28 or more (usual for MMC makers)
Richarson Electronics ( http://www.rell-dot-com/ ) sell the very same caps for
$2.52/each min order 28
They have just sold me 27 of the 942C series 0.33uF/1600V caps for
$2.38/each (note
recent price increase to $2.59/each)
Comparing the current general public prices from the two organisations I
calculate geek caps as 28% dearer not 50% cheaper as claimed in the WEB link
advertised to Tesla-2 Aug 9th 2002. This is a 78% difference
Noting also that to obtain geek prices a donation or additional purchase is
requested.

Below are links to clearly illustrate the point I'm making.
The only point where I can see Geek caps meeting their claims is in very
small
Quantity orders and most MMC cap purchasers will meet the minimums reqd by
R.E.L.L.

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/Flash/Sales/MMCsales.html  (Geek Link)
http://catalog.rell-dot-com/rellecom/scripts/SkuPage.asp?SKU=162589&PNO=&PNM=
(R.E.L Link)