streamer loading effect

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello all,

Tonight i ran my large 1800va TC.  Boy it was great!  unfortunately i didnt
hit the ground with my arcs (well not yet, im about 10" away from that).  My
toroid is at least about 44" above the ground.  Im getting a max of about
56".  Besides rambling about my arc lengths, i noticed a neat little
phenomena.  When the arcs get longer, the tuning get lower!  The difference
in tuning will go from about 10 turns with a low spark gap setting, up to
about 13 turns, as the arcs begin to spew out into the air.  Also, i noticed
that i can get really intense sparks when i go slightly lower than res, on
the primary(little more turns that needed).  You can plainly see the arc
grow as the coil comes into tuning with the added capacitance of the spark
itself. example: On lower power, i had an arc stay at about 10" then
suddenly grow to about 3 feet in a matter of 1 second, and reach out to hit
the tuning inductor which is below the primary!!(you would need to see my
coil to understand).  So i guess my coil is doing "ok" for having a static
gap, im still hoping for 5'.  I think i may have reached it, if i would have
tuned more when the sparks were really flying(i forgot!).  Then as i
remembered to try to tune it out another turn, my dad calls and tells me to
turn the thing off cause he going to bed(he hears it in the house).  Oh
well, ill get in another run on saturday night:) And ill get some pics, i
already did, but they are not worth posting.  The neighbors still seem to
not know what to think of this large machine in my backyard:))  But i think
its ok with them.

Steve Ward.