Re: Neighbors and noise

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> I agree about the relative sound levels of the two
> types of secondary
> discharge but noise from air streamers can swamp
> noise from the gap
> with a good coil. I remember the first time I got a
> coil working (way
> back when) - at first I couldn't understand where
> the noise was
> coming from.

---
Hi,
Peak power of shock wave coming from primary gap is
higher by at least  2 orders of magnitude than that of
secondary air discharges.Sounds are different,though.
That of TC corona may be very unpleasant to human
ears due to other reasons.Peak powers are
decreased,but frequency spectrum shifted up and
interval of irritating rattling-crackling sound
prolonged.

I think it is rather subjective what someone hear from
it. I can always hear the rhytam of primary gap firing
no matter how sharp coil is tuned if operated outdoors
and streamers don't connect to any object.However,when
power arcs come and play I lost the track of
happenings due to incresed noise.

regards,
Boris