Re: Synchronous Motor - How to determine . . .

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> Dan,
>
> The quickest way is to place a piece of white or black tape across
> the rotor, and observe the spinning disc under ordinary flourescent
> light (not electronic fluorescent).  If the motor is locked in sync
> properly, the faint blurred pattern will not rotate.  You can unplug
> the motor and then the pattern will rotate as the motor spins down.
> Just before the motor locks into sync as you raise the voltage,
> a hunting (unsteady) sound may be heard.  The sound will
> suddenly become very steady as the motor locks into sync.
> Some folks use a neon bulb and build a circuit to act as a strobe
> to see if the disc is synched, but I just use the fluorescent light
> method which works well.  Some folks have trouble seeing the
> pattern until you gain experience viewing it.

I can't see anything regarding a pattern with the electrodes, but I do see a
very faint cross that doesn't move on the four
hub flange screws.  I guess this is what i'm looking for.

Dan