Re: OLTC - Split core inductors

Hi Ed and Jim,

I think Jim was referring to inductors made of wide copper ribbon but with
no metal core, just air.  If anyone has a link or info on these, I can
check into this.  I may be a solution if the copper/kapton does not get too
expensive.  Simple to make and low resistance for sure!  They use these at
work for some things but I know little about the theory or design equations
behind them.  The spec would be:

150mH
5 amps peak
~1 ohm or less of resistance.

The copper could probably be very thin.  DigiKey sells 0.75 inch kapton but
other tapes would work too in this less than human space flight application ;-)

MSC has two inch wide, 0.005 inch copper ribbon for $52/100 feet.  2-inch
platting tape could be used I bet (tough, thin and cheaper than kapton).
Just have to know the equation to use.  I quickly searched Google but
didn't find much.  Even paper or poly would work...

Cheers,

	Terry