RE: Problems with First Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Dan,

Incidently, just how large is your toroid? If your toroid is too
large in relation to the power available from your transformer,
then you may not be able to obtain breakout. However, it
would take a pretty large toroid for a 15/60 NST not to be
able to at least obtain some breakout once resonance is
achieved. Try putting a breakput point (like a thumbtack
or something like that) and see if you can get any spark
breakout from the protrusion point.

resonant frequency is 195kHz.

Also, 27.5 nFD is a pretty large capacitor for a 15/60 NST
to fully charge in 8.33 msec - the charge cycle at 120 bps.

various people's websites as a "good" value
for an LTR cap for a 15/60 NST.

Tonite, I'm going to use a oscope and signal generator and fine a rough tune
point for 195kHz on my primary circuit.

Dan