Re: Secondary and MMC Caps

In a message dated 12/14/02 6:51:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > I'm about to start winding my secondary with 27 awg magnet wire. I was
> > wondering if you guys had any pointers as this is my first time for this.
> > Also, with either 1 or 2 15kv 30ma transformers will 6" pvc pipe with 28"
> > winding length be sufficient or is this unrelated?

If you use one 15/30 NST, then the 27awg wire will be excellent, and
a 25" winding length is sufficient.  However, I would make the coil only
4" in dia using 27awg wire.  If you make the coil 6" diameter, then you
can use 24awg wire.  However the 27awg wire will work fine on the
6" diameter form also, and will be similar to my highly efficient research
coil of days gone by, but a lot of primary turns will be needed to tune it.

If however you use two 15/30 NST's then the 6" dia coil will be excellent,
but I would use 24 or 25awg wire.  If you think you may be starting with
one 15/30 NST and adding another NST later, then you may want to
go with the 6" form, and the 24awg wire.  A 28" winding length is good.

If you want to keep the number of primary turns low, you can use
thicker wire in the secondary with only a small penalty of 10% or
so in "efficiency".  At least that's what I've seen in my work, although
there's still some controversy.

John