Re: Series resonance/Was: Waveguide TC

>  > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

>  > Jim,
>  > From what I understand an open-ended 1/4 wave transmission

>>line is series-resonant circuit; series resonant tuned

>>circuit have 90 degree phase shift between current at
>  > the driven end (low impedance) and current at the terminal

>>end (high impedance).
>Except that by Kirchoffs Current Law, the current in and out

>of the terminals must sum to zero.

         My recollection is that Kirchoffs law applies to
         _circuits.  Closed entities, or things in them.
         By observation:
                 Antenna circuits need not be closed (some are).
                 1/4 wave antennas DO have a current peak at the
                 base.
         (other 'series resonant' circuits may not....)

>Therefore the current at the bottom of the secondary has to

>be equal to the current at the top of the secondary.

         cf above.
         Also:
         Behaviour of Tesla Secondaries, in this regard, likely
         changes with MODE:
                 When sparking, the top terminal is not open
                 and the resonance may not be strong.

                 When NOT sparking, i suggest the resonance is
                 stronger.
         (Tesla, apparently, planned to operate in the second
         mode.  (I'm not convinced he'd have got much done,
         but that is Another discussion, for another forum.)

>EXCEPT.. there is some parasitic capacitance (not insignificant) from the
>secondary winding to "ground", and some current flows through that
>capacitance.  But, a number of folks have made measurements of the current
>at top and bottom and find they are only a few degrees apart.
         Sparking or not?

>  > A lumped series-resonant circuit can be visualised as an inductor L and a
>  > capacitor C
>  > in series with a signal source or "generator". Surely there is a 90 degree
>  > phase shift between current at the driven end and the current at the
>  > "terminal" end i.e. current flowing "through" the capacitor?

>Nope.. in a series circuit, the currents all have to be equal.

         In a closed series circuit...
         And the use of 'series resonance' in this case is
         a mental model, an analogy, and need not be pushed too
         far.

>The 90 degree phase shift is between the voltage across the

>device and the current through the device.
         The measurements on 1/4 wave antennas differ.

         (Whether this has direct relevance to sparking Tesla
         coils is a seperate matter...

--
         best
         dwp