Variac ratings

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I'm having some problems with a control system design right now.  I have a
very nice rack mount enclosure which I am using for the NST controller but
unfornately, the two variacs which I was planning on using take up the
entire rear space of the front panel so there is no room to put my voltage
and current meters, other switches etc...

I was planning on using:

120V, 20A variac for mains power (15kV/60mA maximum)
120V, 8.5A variac for SRSG Phase Controller

My question, is can you push a variac for short periods of time.  In
example, can i push my 8.5A variac to say 12A for
short periods of time.

If so, I could just use two (2) 120V, 8.5A variacs on the front instead of
that monster 20A variac which is rather large.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dan