Re: Coming close to finishing

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-madlabs.info>

Alan,

I'm a newb too, but here is my $.02...

 > I'm coming closer each day to the final assembly of my first coil. It's
 > powered by a 15kv/60ma nst and has a 25"(23" wound) secondary. I have some
 > questions on minor things. First, I've read that copper tubing is better
 > use for the primary than solid copper wire, is this true and if so, does
 > the size of the copper tubing matter?

Is it a spiral or helical primary? Overall I think the spiral is better, and
in this case I would use 1/4 copper tubing spaced 1/4 inch. Helicals are
easy to make, and I would use wire.

Also, what sort of wire needs to be
 > used for all the connections(i.e. tank circuit connections and so on).

Basically heavy and short. Use 10 ga minimum. HV cable in this gauge is
spendy, so you will probably use regular wires. You can add to their
insulation with tubing. Not to be touched during operation no matter what.

 > Third, what is the ideal spacing between the first wind of the primary and
 > the base of the secondary? Can I use a pvc pipe flange to connect the
 > secondary to a piece of wood?

Whatever you do, it needs to be adjustable. I have even just stacked plastic
squares to raise and lower a system being tested. PVC flange type mountings
are common.

Last, I began building a geek group saltwater
 > bottle cap and I ran out of my 6awg copper wire. Could I use some spare
 > copper tubing I have laying around as a substitute for connecting the
bottles?

Should be fine. Heavier is rarely a problem. I would solder it to make sure
the connections remain tight.

And last:

Learn from my mistakes! Fire 'er up slow, test each section of the system,
use a variac, have the secondary pretty high up from the primary. Move slow!
Make sure it is all physically stable and ready to go. I am the worst at
controling my impatience, and it cost me my first secondary in a heart beat!
Mind you, it did look mighty cool for a second or two...

Have fun!

Jonathan Peakall