Brown bottle capacitors

Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

This is just a little anecdote I'd like to share,
for your entertainment...

I had a bank of mostly Snapple bottle capacitors (colorless)
it also contained one Stewart's root beer bottle (brown glass)...
guess which bottle failed...
blue-orange fire shot out the side, blowing away part of the
aluminum foil coating and leaving a melt / puncture mark in
the glass.

Guess I won't be using that one anymore.

I think the brown glass uses Fe(III) instead of Fe(II) as the coloring agent?
either way, it failed within about 10 seconds.  The clear-glass caps are still
functioning just fine.

-Chris