Re: 240 vac variac observation

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I agree, when using my pig. However, when I use my
34kVDC PSU, it wants 208vac and it likes a ground,
which is the neutral. The neutral isn't connected to
the variac. However, it is connected to my PSU, which
uses it for the 34kV -.

It hasn't caused any problems, I just wanted to point
it out, since most of us connect things a little
different than they were intended. Before I got my big
variac, I operated my 240 volt pig with two 120 volt
45 amp variacs back to back. I was used to the idea of
symmetrical voltage on each leg, relative to the
neutral/ground. In fact, at zero volts output, both
variac outputs and the neutral are all at the same
potential. Not so with a 240 volt variac. At zero
volts output, the common output leg is always 120
volts relative to the neutral. In other words, at zero
volts out, you can still get bit.

Adam

> Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of
> Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
>

> Hello Coilers,
>
> I use a 240 Volt variac for my coiling and there is
> no neutral wire
> used in the hookup at all.  The entire winding is
> connected across
> the two hot wires feeding 240 Volt from my power
> contactor, and I
> simply take the load off the one brush and the end
> of the winding
> that gives a voltage increase with clockwise turning
> of the knob.
> It couldn't have been simpler to hook up.
>
> 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
>
> Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
> E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
>            or ve3ear-at-rac.ca