Re: my absolutely last post re: c^2 and Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-home-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

> Matt,
>
> You've skillfully avoided answering my questions.  I say again, what exactly
> did  Michelson-Morley concluded about their
> experiments?   If you don't know, better go look it up.

  Well, I do. They concluded they couldn't see any evidence of an
Aether _as described_. Worse, later descriptions of an Aether
still aren't reconcilable with the MM experiment or either G or S
Relativity.

>...   If you don't know, better go look it up.  Their experiments are
> flawed in that they assumed a three dimensional frame of reference for aether
> as the earth moved through it.  They were looking for a shift in light
phase as
> the earth moved through the aether.  Their assumption was not justified
as the
> aether is not orthogonally oriented to 3D space.  So, their experiment cannot
> be interpreted and is null.  Likewise Einstein's statement, "Any observer
will
> always find the same value
> for light in vacuo relative to himself, regardless of the direction of travel
> of the light and regardless of the velocity of the source."
> is true, but has no relevance as to the existence of aether.  Hard to
believe,
> but aether is not bound by three dimensional geometry.

  I am reminded of Uncle Al's proposed modification of the Eotvos
Experiment, to test for geometrical violation of the Equivalence
principle. (I can't find the URL at the moment; he posts on
sci.physics and the URL is in his sig file.)

> BTW, Einstein embrace the existence of aether until his death.  It's well
> documented in his writings.  The existence of aether is having a
Renaissance of
> sorts in modern physics.  There are many experiments that detect aether,
ZPE or
> what ever name is fashionable.  Dirac predicted it and won the Nobel
prize for
> it.  A good example is recent experimental measurement of the Casmir effect.
> There are others.

  True, but they couldn't think of a way to conclusively test for
it either.

> Knowing all there is to know and subsequent denial and exclusion of all
else is
> to know nothing.

  Uh, yeah, but to insist on the existence of something without
evidence is faith.

> This aether discussion is germane to Tesla coiling since it involves the
> Poynting vector force without which Tesla coils cannot function.

  I tend to agree. An awful lot of stuff is disregarded as
"unphysical" in reducing math to practice, but we still assume it
has some kind of reality. This needs to be reconciled.

  I also think somebody better propose a test involving TCs
pretty soon or Terry'll kill this thread. ;>)

  Mark L. Fergerson