Re: Flat secondary measurements

Hi Paul,

At 12:08 PM 2/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>
>When it comes to analysing flat spiral configurations, the only
>tricky bit facing us is dealing with the large amount of distributed
>mutual capacitance between primary and secondary.  Negligible effect
>in a flat-primary/helical-solenoid TC, but for flat-pri/flat-sec we
>will need an additional coupling matrix in the equations for the
>dual resonator.  This is a non-trivial change, so can we focus on
>just the solitary flat secondary for now?

It is interesting that we always assume the primary to secondary energy
transfer in Tesla coils is through inductive coupling.   However,
capacitance can also have the same energy transfer effect and these flat
coils would tend to exploit that.  I am not sure what the relative
magnitudes of inductive and capacitive coupling would be in a coil.  If
inductive is 99.9% and capacitive is 0.1%, then maybe it is simply not a
concern in any case.  But if it is 90% 10% or something like that, it may
be a big deal.  I would guess that the primary to secondary coupling could
still be adjusted easily by varying the spacing 'if' there were far higher
and significant capacitive coupling involved in the flat secondary case.

Perfectly fine to do just the flat secondary now to see where we are going.
 When we get it all going and measurments start to come in, we can see
where to go from there.

Cheers,

	Terry