LC Resonant theory RE: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "Steve Greenfield by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alienrelics-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Someone remind me who has the website with all the
waveforms of primary vs secondary voltage. It shows
plainly how the energy rings back and forth between
the primary and secondary.

Dave, you might find it helpful to think of the charge
as a pendulum swinging back and forth. If you give it
a kick when nothing is happening, it starts out from
zero and so you don't see a "kick" at the peak. So the
primary gets a kick from an arc, it starts at zero and
the first half sine is the highest. As it rings down,
it is losing energy in three ways: resistive,
radiative, and transfered by magnetic coupling to the
secondary. The secondary, rather than getting one big
kick, gets kinda dragged along. It is not a "kick"
each half cycle. It is more like grabbing the string
near the top of a pendulum and pulling it back and
forth at the resonant frequency of the pendulum,
oscillations build up over several cycles.

Then the reverse happens- some of the field from the
secondary now couples energy back into the primary and
so you see the primary peaks getting higher again.
Then back again. How many times it happens depends on
things like resistive and radiative losses, and
whether or not it arcs out from the top of the
secondary.

Dave, in your question below:
> ...what is the current
> scientific explanation for
> the variation of voltage in a damped sine wave?
> What force is believed to
> determine when the wave will reverse direction?

You are asking for an explanation of resonance. If I
understand you correctly, you are asking what
determines when a rising sine wave stops rising and
falls, passes through zero, then to another peak where
it stops and reverses direction again.

Again, it may help to think of an LC resonant circuit
as a pendulum. Charge on the capacitance is
represented by displacement of the weight from the
center resting point, and the magnetic field by the
speed of the weight.

You might do yourself some good to study resonant
theory and the operation of LC and RLC parallel and
series circuits. The ARRL Handbook is a good place to
start.

Steve Greenfield