Re: Barts Flat Coil Dimensions Was: Dimensions of my flat spiral coil

Hi Dave -

Your number of turns hasn't physically changed and is 224 correct? With the
3 windings, I agree you
have 3 x the area. Account for 21 awg size x 3, but I don't see why the
number of turns would be
changed (I'm assuming each wire has 224 turns). I tried this and Acmi says
5.839mH (near your
measurement). There may not be a solution for your 3 wire coil. True that
the physical area is 3 x
the wire size, but Acmi is looking at 1 wire 3 x the size, not 3 smaller
wires side by side. The
wire is basically non-uniform for all practical purposes and this is
probably where the discrepancy
exist. If any program could get close or will in the future, it will be
Acmi. But like all other
programs, it's only as good as it's inputs and it's limitations.

However, there should be no problems at all with the single wire coils like
your 13 inch coil. Who
knows, maybe you can get your hands on a second LCR somewhere to aid
verification. I'm sure
Radioshack would just love to measure the coil (assuming they have an
inductance meter).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>