Flat Coil Details

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com>

Somehow I missed the start of "flat coils". Could someone refer me to the
basic construction details? I have seen photos on the net with a discharge
from a wire in the center. Does this mean the outside is grounded? No ball or
torroid? There is some 15kv insulated 18ga wire on eBay. It would be easy to
wind a spiral between 2 plastic plates with it because of the large wire
diameter (.09) but that gives only 100 turns for an 18 inch diameter spiral.
Is that practical?
Jim Heagy (more parts than knowledge)