Re: Flat bifilar coils

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/21/2002 7:11:23 AM, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< I have recently wound a flat spiral bifilar coil.  I'm still characterizing
it.  So far I have noticed that the magnetic field is strongest in the
center of the coil, instead of in the outer windings as in a regular single
wind or trifilar coil.  The coil I'm working with is poorly wound being
elliptical and has bunched wires on one side.  But if I find anything
useful, I'll wind another one.  I'll report on this as I learn more.

Dave >>

Thanks for the information. On the USA Tesla list, there was some discussion
about stacking bifilar coils to concentrate the field. It occurs to me that a
stack of coils could replace the primary in a Tesla coil. One thing i did
notice was that the battery i was useing became very hot in short order.
Paul