Re: Re-configuring X-Ray Transformers

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Jack,

>  This connection is not
> > insulated for full floating
> > secondaries - even in
> > oil-.
>
> Hmmm Is it (was it) flashing over to the core? or
> where?

The flashing over was at "a secure, undisclosed location" somewhere near
the midpoint wire. That
was part of the problem.

>  but I fear the wire awg size may be a hair
> too small (pun intended) to sustain even the short
> term current I need (sometimes around 800 ma - 1 amp.

Well, for that much current out, you need big current in. So the primary
could be just as much a
problem. For 15KV -at- .500 AMPS , using 220 VAC in you need 34 AMPS primary
current.

> Maybe I'll just end up making a cool spark gap in the
> shop turned lab.

Would be impressive!

> >   BTW mine was coated with shellac, so I soaked it
> > for a week in denatured
> > alcohol. that loosened
> > it up enough to peel the layers off in a controlled
> > way.
>
> Was your's shellaced, then submerged in oil?

Yeah, it was really old craft paper construction. They only shellaced the
outside, no vacume
impreg., so I set up a winder backwards(unwinder) and recovered literally a
mile of 28 AWG wire. I
have wound a couple of TC secondarys with it.
 Still it could be usefull for lower power TC's. Depending on the wire size.
Regards,
 James Cart