Re: microwave capacitors

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Sean, All.

	If your oven caps really are polypropylene they should work, however
I've never heard of oven caps using polypropylene dielectric (correct me
if I'm wrong, please).  Most if not all oven caps use mylar as a
dielectric, which is very lossy at high frequency.  I have used mylar
oven caps in a tank circuit, and they got hot... VERY HOT.  I ran for
about 10 seconds, and they were very noticably warm.

	As to your pulse caps, they may or may not work depending on their
ratings.  Some "pulse caps" can't take the heat when pushed into TC
duty.  To tell if they are truly suitable for TC use, you need more info
on their internal construction.  You could always hook them up and see
how they work.  I hope I answered your question.

Have fun!
Winston

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

> So does anyone know the suitability for use of polypropylene/foil microwave
> oven capacitors for use in a TC tank circuit? I would think that they would
> work fine, but it seems like more people would use them, cause they tend
to be
> fairly cheap . . . This is the same question I had in a previous post, but I
> didn't get replies regarding their use in the tank circuit . . .
>
> Same question about the 10kv 0.05 uF pulse caps - are they any good for
TC tank