Re: mot rewind

Current ratings for windings... general guideline 750 circular mil/amp...
500 circular mil/amp if you're brave or short duty cycles, 1000 cmil/amp if
you're conservative....

#22 is about 25 mils in diameter.. so circular mils is roughly 625
(actually, 642 according to one of my tables...)... looks like #22 would be
good for an amp, give or take...'

Probably NOT a good choice for a primary on a 1kVA transformer..  Not only
will it get hot, but the resistive loss will be pretty high. You need about
10 times the cross sectional area, or roughly 3-4 times the diameter.

You want to figure around 10 Amps (at 110V), so you need around 5000 to 7500
circular mil area, say, AWG #12, at 6530 cmil...

Think of it this way... Houses are wired with #14 and #12 for 15-20 Amp
services, and that's with the wires running pretty much by themselves,
fairly cool....

The other thing to do is to look at the original wire you took off.. How big
is it?