Re: mot rewind

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 04:40 PM 05/01/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<PsychoticMinds1-at-aol-dot-com>

>Hi all
>
>I have just been given a 240 mot by a teacher at my school.
>I ran it 110 but it wasnt enough for me :-)  so i cut the
>core and removed the primary windings.  i have a bobbin ready
>to make a new primary out of 22 awg magnet wire.  how many
>turns would i need?   is 22 awg thick enough wire?
>How many amps can a 22 awg wire withstand?
>
>Frank

Frank & Coilers,

Having just taken apart two MOT's last week to make chokes out
of them, I know from firsthand experience that you'll need more
than 22 AWG for your new primary!!  I counted 120 turns on each
of the primaries I removed, meaning one turn per volt, and the
wire appeared to be 16 AWG in size.  Good luck!!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca