RE: TC Handbook

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Dan, Gary, All -

I agree a TC Handbook would be a good idea but at present there is a more
important job for coilers to consentrate on. There is plenty of TC
information presently available on existing web sites, however as Dan points
out what is missing is the lack of test data from real coils. Present
information that says you need a larger toroid, more turns in the secondary,
so many breaks per second, etc, need to be backed up by actual tests.

The design of Tesla coils is empirical. This means that the design must be
backed up by real world experience (tests). In the past coilers have made
many tests of their coils but that information has never been assembled into
a book that can be referred to when designing a coil. There are some good TC
design programs available but being able to have actual test data easily
accessible would be a great help to coilers.

Testing a TC properly is not easy if accurate results are to be obtained. To
test a coil properly a certain test procedures must be followed and the
results verified by other tests. All of this should be in book form and
agreed upon by coilers on the List.

I believe this type of book would be of more importance to coilers now than
a rehash of the info that is already available on web sites that some day
will have to be put in order.

John Couture