meanwhile, so, here goes: <still on-topic, Terry :) >

From: http://www.ilpi-dot-com/msds/ref/activatedcharcoal.html

"A single gram of such material can have 400 to 1,200 square meters of
surface area, 98% of it internal! "

They're talking about charcoal... carbon to be specific. Carbon being an
integral part of the
"sooty smoke" needed to make MW oven plasmoids, which "may" be akin to ball
lightning.

It is not hard for me to believe that a lightning stroke might occasionally
liberate a fresh
batch of, say, a gram of carbon to the atmosphere. Probably Malcolm, or
somebody, can
calculate the capacitance of 1200 M^2 of carbon vs. the atmosphere,
....and its resistance, and just boil it down
to a simple RC time constant...ummm... I can imagine *several* grams of
fresh carbon
being aerosolized and electrically charged by a strike;
....methinks that a few thousand square yards of
charged surface area, via a poor conductor, COULD discharge a'la ball
lightning, in an R/C
kinda way, for a humanly-comprehendable several seconds.
Yes, I realize that particles of a similar charge are going to busily be
trying to get away
from each other... but there may be EM fields and such that my puny mind
has not
allowed for, thus far.

Disclaimer: I "may be" "full of it"..... but just go and watch a summertime
lightning storm here
in FL, and watch the clouds.... if it's not a giant R/C relaxation
oscillator....you're not watching
closely enough, as one cloud and the next, and the next fire off....I was
kinda surprised when
the Shuttle astronauts "discovered" that lightning storms have an effect on
one another.....I
can imagine such stuff happening on a very small scale....

Randy