Re: Trigger electrode wear

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Gary,

The problem is that the main discharge in a trigatron does end up going
from one electrode, through the trigger electrode, to the other
electrode. This does cause trigger electrode erosion, and this is one of
the failure modes for trigatrons. As long as the trigger electrode can
be easily replaced, you don't need to use tungsten. But tungsten should
result in less maintenance.

Triggering can be done in any of the quadrants - some quadrants are
simply a bit more consistent. As long as you have sufficient triggering
voltage to reliably fire the gap, the minor amount of jitter shouldn't
be a problem. A small amount of jitter should have virtually no impact
on the tank capacitor bang to bang energy when the gap actually fires.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman