Re: the classic beginner question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/10/02 11:53:07 PM Central Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "TRAVIS LOYD by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> lelandg-at-usa-dot-net>

Travis
>  (forever learning)<

Hi Travis,

FWIW I think you wrote the best "beginner question" post I have seen.
You already seem to understand how to learn, and you are probably
already doing the right things.

I would suggest that you study all the engineering and physics texts you
you can get hold of and take all the math, engineering and physics courses
you can find.The hands-on experience is also important. Regrettably, the great
EICO and
Heathkits of yesteryear are no longer with us, but it is probably better to
repeat the experiments described in the textbooks. Study the basic electrical
theory and do the experiments. Do the basic solid-state experiments. See
the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook and the RCA Tube Manual.
IMHO, the older electrical and radio engineering texts are superior to
anything
post 1960. See Terman, Morecroft, Henney, etc. Manufacturer's literature and
catalogs are often loaded with good info.

There is one other thing you can do if you are younger than say 15. And that
is
do your own field trips. This won't work if you are too old like say 16, but
the idea is to get a pal to go with you to the industrial and technical
facilities in your area.
Anything: power plants, radio/tv transmitter sites, university physics labs,
etc.
You can start with a neon sign shop and work up from there. I think you get
the idea
how to work it. Do not call ahead of time, you'll never get past the
gum-chewing
receptionist. If possible, go around to a back entrance. When you are stopped
just say we want to see how transformers are made. Do a little studying of
the
subject ahead of time. It works nearly every time.

Stay safe.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman