Re: new coilers and questions

Hi Gary,

At 01:45 PM 1/11/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I just joined the list.  WOW! It's pretty busy here. I never thought there
>would be so many coilers out there.
>I and a few friends who are pretty much middle aged electricians, decided
>that we would finally build a TC.
>Our little group consists of industrial electricians, utility engineer and a
>lineman.  Man do we have questions.
>Mike Hammer was kind enough to send us here to learn more from you pro's.

There are 870 people on this list and we do 1200-1500 messages a month!
Beginners to super experts are all here.  Of course, questions is what we
are all about.  Sounds like your group is VERY capable!!

>We have been gathering up some of the components needed for our project and
>what we have so far is a 120/12.5kv pole pig rated .5kva. A few reels of
>18awg magnetic wire and a Luxtrol 120vac/ 2000watt controller. We plan on
>building our own caps either rolled or stacked and a rotary spark gap.

Is the pole transformer 0.5 or 5kVA?  0.5 sounds small for a pole pig.  Of
course, you guys probably can get anything you want :-))

>Question 1. Is anyone familiar with using a Luxtrol controller for current
>or voltage regulating on there TC ?

Nope!  Not "me".

>Question 2. Is it possible to splice windings on the Secondary coil?

Sure, just make it small, smooth and as subtle as possible.

>I know a 120/12.5kv pig is a little big for a first time TC project and Mike
>has stated his concerns to me but,  If we start from the bottom and work our
>way up to a good size TC half of us will dead of old age. We believe to be a
>safe group of guys. We didn't get to this age being electrician all of our
>lives and taking chances.

You know far more about the 10's of KV area than most of us so it is a
great match for your group.  But DO ask if you have any questions because
this particular use is "strange" :-))  You may want to check out the many
coiler's sites at:

http://j.webring-dot-com/hub?ring=teslaring&id=265&hub

Depending on your location, there may also be other coiler's near (maybe
with big systems too) that you can get good ideas from and see it all first
hand.

>But anyhow, We look forward to any help from the list and promise to keep
>you posted on our adventure.

Neat!  We also may have a few question of your expertise too :-))

Cheers,

	Terry