Re: inverter microwave ovens as source of HV power supplies...

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> While looking for something else, I turned up an interesting fact:
>
> Panasonic Inverter 1200Watt Microwave ovens are $109 at WalMart  The
> implication is that there is a 1.2 kW HV DC power supply in there!!...
> Hmmmm...

Hi Jim,
If it's in there, and i'm sure it must be, It is hidden or mixed in with
all the other goodies and spread out over three main pcb\componant
boards.
I have some pics of the insides of one of these Panasonic's on my site
at:http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id26.htm
There is three of them down about two thirds the way to the bottom
(after the cores). sorry, not very good pics but i can get them to click
to full size if anyone wants a closer look?
I knew there was some goodies in there, wish i wouldn't have blown it up
like a dummy. With that funky transformer and all the caps and diodes it
must have been a doubler or trippler circuit? There wasn't any
schematics on the case and i couldn't find anything on the web, but i
still have the boards and transformer (or maybe it's a resonant
inductor) in the junk box. It looked like an mov that blew in half when
i killed it, this led to a cascade flash over that burnt a big chunk of
board and got my heart racing with one hand on the fire extinguisher and
the other on the "e"-stop for the power.
Take care,
Marc M.