Re: website

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Godfrey,
>             I'm sure others have the technical name for the
> insulation - I don't recall. The insulation is characterised by a
> pronounced reddish tint and unlike most other "enamels", can be
> directly soldered through. It is soft, melts with some solvents and
> is just a poor choice for most applications I can think of. It fails
> in transformers (both heating and magnetostriction rubbing turns
> together and would never be used in motors of any significant power.
>
>      My experiences with it have not been happy. I'm not saying
> "don't use it", I'm just saying that I wouldn't.
>
> Regards,
> malcolm

	At least one possible name is "Soldereze" and another is
"Polythermaleze" ( or is it Poly Thermaleze".  It melts under the heat
of the solder and appears to flux the wire, as it tins beautifully.  I
have several rolls of the stuff in my basement, sizes 36 to 40.  One is
red and the rest are green.  Used it in winding toroidal tone filter
coils, with no problems whatsoever.  This is real rough service, as the
wire is wound very tightly and is rubbed against a spring in the process
of winding, at least in the winder I built.  My Belden wire book is at
work so I can't look up the specs on this particular wire.  There may
well be other similar insulations which are less durable.

Ed