Re: Isis and Osiris--Victory At See

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

<Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

> I have a length of bare # 12 wire, the ends of which are connected to the
> secondary bases. I can move the powerline ground tap along this wire. Now
> that the coil is decently
> tuned I am unable to find any evidence of the "ground tuning" effect. The
> electrical
> zero point does not shift. This effect was definitely noticed when I was
> tuning the
> primaries. I consider that question very much open for more experimentation.

Considering that this wire is in series with secondary coils of large
inductance, and that the wavelength corresponding to the operating
frequency is much larger than the wire length, the wire is just
a short-circuit, and can be grounded anywhere without significant
difference.

> The process of tuning the TWO series connected primaries to an F res = to F
> res
> for EACH secondary is a mystery to me. The secret may be in the M mutual
> inductance
> between the two primaries but I still do not understand it. Maybe Terman or
> Butterworth will help.

If the primaries are far apart, their mutual inductance is very small.
Symmetry is important. Keep the geometries at both sides as similar as
possible. You can tune the system with an extra ("off-axis") inductance
in the primary circuit (this affects the coupling too), or by changing
the primary capacitance (changes the energy in the system too), if you
don't want to experiment with tap points in the two primaries.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz