RE: copier transformers

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi

The photocopier transformers used for tesla coils weigh about 30 pounds. You
can see one at
http://personal.atl.bellsouth-dot-net/atl/a/j/ajones18/index.html. I would
forget about tinkering the little photocopier transformers into a power
supply. They are probably driven by high frequency electronic circuits and
require knowledge of power electronics to adapt. Expensive instrumentation
might be required to tune up the circuits. Also the power output is probably
very low. Get a nice 12kV/30mA, 12kV/60mA, 15kV/30mA, or 15kV/60mA NST.

A NST will last a long time if you use a LTR (larger than resonant) cap,
properly set safety gaps, and a short static spark gap. You always hear
about failing NSTs. This is because a resonant cap was used together with a
wide spark gap, or the transformer was defective at the beginning. If you
keep that spark gap short, I think you can even leave out Terry's filter.
The secret of successful coiling with a NST is simple---keep the spark gap
short!

Godfrey Loudner