RE: copier transformers

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: RE: copier transformers
>Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:15:51 -0700
>
>Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
>Hi
>
>The photocopier transformers used for tesla coils weigh about 30 pounds.
>You
>can see one at
>http://personal.atl.bellsouth-dot-net/atl/a/j/ajones18/index.html. I would
>forget about tinkering the little photocopier transformers into a power
>supply. They are probably driven by high frequency electronic circuits and
>require knowledge of power electronics to adapt. Expensive instrumentation
>might be required to tune up the circuits. Also the power output is
>probably
>very low. Get a nice 12kV/30mA, 12kV/60mA, 15kV/30mA, or 15kV/60mA NST.
>
>A NST will last a long time if you use a LTR (larger than resonant) cap,
>properly set safety gaps, and a short static spark gap. You always hear
>about failing NSTs. This is because a resonant cap was used together with a
>wide spark gap, or the transformer was defective at the beginning. If you
>keep that spark gap short, I think you can even leave out Terry's filter.
>The secret of successful coiling with a NST is simple---keep the spark gap
>short!
>
>Godfrey Loudner

Not true at all! ALL 30lbs photocopier XMFR's will run around
4.5 to 5 kVAC at 350 mA, some run as high as 450 mA. They operate the same
as a MOT.
THEY ARE LETHAL! I have used them for TC service and gotten 15' arcs!