RE: increased coupling

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Despite the greater clearance for the 4" secondary, it's coupling can be
increased arbitrarily by just lowering it relative to the primary.
Assuming your setup allows for this, it would seem easier and neater than
what you described.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hello coilers,

As I wanted to test 4" secondaries as well as 6" secondaries in the
same setup, I choose the clearance between the primary and the
4" secondary to be 2". Now I'm concerned whether it will be
possible to pump enough power into the 4" secondary despite of
this loose coupling.

Therefore I'm planning to increase the coupling by winding some
turns of thick wire around the base of the secondary as well as
around the inner turns of the primary (sorry - difficult to explain) and
to connect them. Of course the direction of these windings (i.e. cw
or ccw) has to be correct.

Has anybody tried this already? Could this work?

Regards,

Herwig