Re: OBIT Ratings

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/28/02 6:45:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Im trying to find myself a good OBIT from a scrapped
> car and i was wondering about the ratings ive been
> hearing... The man at the auto shop said they have the
> 12V high amperage in and then about 80V out... i of
> course dont beleive him because of the nice arcs ive
> seen them produce...  Anyone know the REAL ratings of
> an OBIT... I know they would vary but somone with some
> experience could prolly tell me what theve seen...
> Also, how durable are they for overvolting???
>
> he offered them to me for about $5 which i guess would
> be ok for one...
>
> thanks,
>
> Cory

Hi Cory,
         I think we have a terminology problem here. An OBIT is an Oil Burner
Ignition Transformer, has nothing to do with cars, is usually 120VAC in and
23ma -at- 10 kV out. Often used for small ~2-3" diam. coils. I believe what you
are talking about is HEIC High Energy Ignition Coil. These are from cars, are
designed to run on 12VDC batteries, and have small current outputs -at- 10-30kV.
They are usually used for triggered gaps in coiling.
Hope this helps clear up some of it,
Matt D.
G3-1085