Re: SRSG - Attaching Conductive Ring

In a message dated 7/22/02 9:57:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Dan,

On one of my SRSG's, I used a 2" long hub to "extend" the shaft
in a sense.  This permitted me to use the two series gaps behind
the motor.  I made up the 2" long hub on the lathe from a 1" dia
piece of aluminum stock.  However I'm not advocating the use of
the two extra series gaps, just saying that it can be done.

If you use a conductive ring, it can be held in place using
the same bolts and nuts that hold the tungsten electrodes.  These
bolts will also provide an electrical connection to the ring.  The
conductive ring does not need to be a thick metal, 0.025"
copper, or 0.040" aluminum is thick enough, for up to
a kilowatt or perhaps more.  The conductive ring can be
placed either in front of, or behind the rotor disc.  In front
of the disc gives a theoretically lower resistance connection,
not that it will make a noticeable difference in performance.

Cheers,
John