Re: Need help!/ These good??

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Need help!/ These good??
>Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:27:20 -0600
>
>Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>
>
>Steve,
>
>My MMC is made of caps from Madisound.  I have 2,000 volt caps - looks like
>they are sold out of those.  The 1200 volt caps are fine.  They have
>carried
>these for a few years now, and they might give you an even better bargain
>get rid of them.  (The less than 1 mF caps are not of much use for audio
>stuff - crossovers, etc.)
>
>I recommend more than one string to handle the current.
>--Steve Young

Question,

Is there a benifit to having a single string rated at .027uf containing 25
caps in series, compared with 2 strings rated .0135 with 25 caps each, in
parrallel??  Id guess that there would be a little benifit, but does anyone
think that its worth it??  I was also wondering why they carried such small
values since these would cross over at very extreme frequencies, rather than
the usual 800hz and 3000hz (generally for a 3 way system).  And another
thing to note is that Allied sells the same caps that im interested in for
about 8 bucks each!! compared to 1.52 each at Madisound.  Boy, i must have
really been ripped when i bought my original MMC cap!

Steve Ward