MOT Ballasting for a pig?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <network-at-neXband-dot-com>

Hello all,
   I have several fried MOTs and was wondering if I can still use them for
ballasting a pole pig even though the secondaries are burnt up?  I'm
guessing that I won't get as much out without being able to short the
secondary.  IF this is true, should I cut the secondary copper off and
rewrap some heavy gauge wire on it?  Also when using MOTs for ballasting,
will I need to put them in oil?

Thanks much
Gregg Adams