RE: Pulse coil?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Single-shot testing of coils has been discussed, but the mechanics of
achieving this has not.  I believe to do so requires a low-current DC HV
power supply in place of the usual AC NST.  An NST with a half-wave string
of 1N4007 diodes would do, and you'd want to meter the DC voltage across
your cap with a HV probe and analog meter.  You may want to control the NST
with a variac so you can control the bang size.  Set the static gap wider
than normal so it won't fire, and insert something conductive between the
gap terminals to fire it.

In order to ensure that the cap doesn't recharge and re-fire the gap while
you're "shorting" it, you'll have to current limit the NST power supply.  A
string of ten 10 Meg resistors should do it.  Just beware that if you have
bleeder resistors on your cap, you may run into trouble.

Gary Lau
MA, USA